- How GOP lawmakers are prepping to ban abortion as soon as possible
- New York expands abortion access, including for non-residents
- Biden signs lend-lease law speeding up Ukraine aid
- Groups perpetuating Trump’s 2020 election lie face scrutiny and lawsuits
- Sign up to receive First Thing – our daily briefing by email
Nancy Pelosi has assailed Republicans in her weekly “Dear Colleague” letter to fellow Democrats, saying once Roe v Wade abortion protections are overturned, basic human rights will be next.
In the missive, the House speaker says it is “urgent and essential” that Democrats share with the American public the “dangers of the Republican agenda” in the wake of the supreme court’s draft ruling ending almost half a century of constitutional abortion protections:
Republican state legislators across the country are already advancing extreme new laws, seeking to arrest doctors for offering reproductive care, ban abortion entirely with no exceptions, and even charge women with murder who exercise their right to choose.
These draconian measures could even criminalize contraceptive care, in vitro fertilization and post-miscarriage care, dragging our nation back to a dark time decades into the past.